Do I need a visa to travel to Egypt?

Everyone needs a visa in order to travel to Egypt, irrespective of nationality, age or purpose of travel

Can I get the visa on arrival?

Nationals of the following countries have the option to obtain a visa on arrival:

  • UK
  • EU
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Croatia
  • Georgia
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Macedonia
  • Republic of Korea
  • Russian Federation
  • Serbia
  • Ukraine
  • USA

How much does the visa cost on arrival?

Visa fee payable on arrival is 25 US dollars or equivalent in Egyptian pounds.

I am travelling to Sharm El Sheikh, do I need a visa?

Nationals of UK, EU & USA travelling to Sharm El Sheikh, Taba, Dahab and Nuweiba for up to 14 days stay, are visa exempt. However, please note that only these resorts are visa exempt, so if travelling elsewhere in Egypt the usual visa requirements will apply.

How can I obtain a tourist visa beforehand? How long does it take?

A visa can either be applied for in person at the Egyptian Consulate (London) in person (2 working days turnaround time), or by post (please allow 5 working days for processing).
In order to apply for a visa, different documents are required according to the applicant’s nationality. For further details, please click here: Visas

Do I need clearance prior to applying for a visa? How can I get it?

Travel Document holders as well as nationals of the following countries: Iran, Tunisia, Somalia, Morocco, Algeria, Lebanon, Iraq, Palestine, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Sudan, Djibouti, Mauritania, Comoros, Burundi, Rwanda, Liberia, Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Mali, Niger, Chad, Israel, Afghanistan, Kosovo, Moldova, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Myanmar, need to apply for clearance from the authorities in Cairo (via the Egyptian Consulate), as a preliminary stage to their visa application.

To apply for clearance, kindly apply via the Consulate with 1 photocopy of your travel document or passport, 1 photograph with a white background and 2 visa application forms duly completed and signed, with visa fee. This process may take from 2-6 weeks.

I am from China, how can I apply for a visa?

Apart from the usual visa requirements, Chinese nationals must also supply a Letter from their Employer or their University, as well as return tickets.

I am from South Africa; can I apply for a visa on arrival?

South African nationals must apply for their visa prior to travelling to Egypt, either in person (2 working days), or by post (5 working days). South Africans are exempt from paying the visa fee.

I am from Malaysia do I need a visa to travel to Egypt?

Malaysian nationals can stay in Egypt for up to two weeks without a visa. If the stay exceeds 2 weeks, the usual visa requirements apply.

I did not find anything about my nationality on the website, how can I apply for a visa?

Please read carefully all information provided, paying special attention when mentioned “all other nationalities, other than the ones listed” as you may fall under this category and there may be information relevant to you.

I would like to apply for residency and a work permit. Can I apply at the Consulate?

Resident permits can only be applied for in Cairo, Mogama’a El Tahrir, El Tahrir Square, Immigration Department, Ministry of Interior.

Work permits can only be applied for in Egypt, by approaching the local authorities under jurisdiction of the Ministry of Labour, together with representatives of your Employer.

My passport is valid for less than 6 months can I apply for a visa?

All passports must be at least 6 months valid before expiry date.

What is a multiple-entry visa?

A multiple-entry visa can only be applied for prior to travelling and valid for the applicant the right to a maximum 90 days stay in Egypt, 6 months, during which the applicant can enter Egypt more than once.

Can I get a visa the same day I apply?

Please allow 2 working days for processing, if applying in person.

Transit visa

No transit visa is required if you do not leave the international area at the airport, whilst you are waiting between two flights. However, if you do intend to leave the airport and enter Egypt on a stopover before catching your connecting flight, then you must have a tourist visa or a business visa depending on the purpose of your visit.

Can someone else apply on my behalf?

Yes, however, each applicant must complete and sign his/her own application form.

I am travelling with my family/friends, can one of us apply for all applicants?

Yes, however, each applicant must complete and sign his/her own application form. In case of underage children, the legal guardian or parent can sign on their behalf.

Can someone else collect my passport on my behalf?

Yes, however, this person must carry an authorization letter from the applicant, as well as provide the ticket showing a tracking number which was given to the applicant. This person will also be required to identify himself/herself with an ID card / passport and sign in order to acknowledge receipt of the applicant’s passport.

Do I need to send my passport, if applying by post?

Yes, a visa sticker will be affixed to one of your passport pages. At least one whole blank page is required.

Can I apply for a visa to be valid from the start date of my travel?

No, our automated visa system at the Consulate, validates the visa automatically, set at the date of issue, and cannot be altered. Visas are valid for 6 months.

Do I need more than one visa to go to different cities in Egypt?

No, you require just one visa entry or multiple whether it be single.

Can I get a business visa on arrival?

Business visas must be applied for prior to travelling to Egypt. Apart from the usual visa requirements, kindly supply an official letter with regard to your business visit to Egypt.

I want to work in Egypt for 1 year. Can you grant me a work visa for this period?

As work permits can only be issued in Egypt, please apply for a multiple-entry business visa, which will entitle you to a maximum of 90 days stay in Egypt and 6 month visa validity. Thus, whilst being in Egypt, you will be able to approach the local authorities under jurisdiction of the Labour Ministry, together with representatives of your employer and apply for your work permit.

I need to take some medication during my visit to Egypt, what shall I do?

An official letter from your GP is required, specifying that the medication you are taking to Egypt is for your personal use only, the quantity you will be carrying and details of your condition. Please note that any medication containing Methadone is NOT permitted into Egypt. For further details please contact the Egyptian Medical Office in London.

Can I take my pets with me? What are the required documents?

  • The required documents for taking your pets with you to Egypt are:
    1. An Official Export Health Certificate from your Vet and legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and then legalised at our Consulate office.
    2. Passport & Proof of Vaccinations for rabies, blood test (to show rabies antibodies, please ask your Vet when to administer the test. Please contact DEFRA (tel: 01228403600) and your Vet for advice.
  • Legalisation Information:
    1. Legalise the above Certificate at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (Norfolk House (West), 237 Silbury Boulevard, Milton Keynes MK9 2AH Tel: 01908 295 111/Fax: 01908 295 122.
    2. Send all documents to our Consulate together with a postal order in respect of our fee (GBP20) and include a self-addressed pre-paid return envelope so we can post it back to you when it is ready. If you choose to bring it in person, please pay our fee in cash and the legalisation can be done the same day.

How much money can I take with me to Egypt?

There is a limit of L.E. 5,000 and $10,000 or equivalent GBP on the amount of cash allowed to be carried in or out of Egypt.

I want to invite my Egyptian friend to come to the UK, how do I go about it?

You must contact the British Embassy in Cairo on Tel.: (002) (02) 27916000 or by email: [email protected], as only the British government can advise on how to enter Britain.